FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Review of Thai Basil - Denver, Colorado

I had the misfortune of craving Thai food on Sunday - a day when my favorite Thai restaurant in all of Denver and Colorado Springs was closed -- WILD GINGER in Littleton, Colorado.  So, I did the next best thing.  Plugged in Thai in my search engine on google maps and Thai Basil along with its neighbor Swing Thai on Alameda in Denver popped up.  I decided to try a new place since I frequent Swing Thai in the Highlands. 

From the beginning... the waitress was ... well, less than friendly.  The Thai veggie egg rolls, another review stated on yelp, were nothing but rice noodle and cabbage- that's true but I was hungry.   The entrees are a whole 'nother story.  SPICY!  Their sauces are pre-made so don't expect a mild Thai dish.  Sure, maybe I shouldn't expect that from a Thai restaurant but I have been to well over twenty Thai/Asian Fusion restaurants in the Denver area and I have to say, I have never had a problem with getting a dish the way I want it.  I did at Thai Basil.  If you have even a mild reflux or other condition, watch out!  Order wisely!

The prices are comparable but I think the lure to this place is its prices on beer/wine --- they are $0.50 for beer and $2.00 for wines.  The CATCH:  5-9pm and you have to buy a dinner entree.  I had the panang and it was not as flavorful as other panangs I have had elsewhere but their Asian Chinese dishes in regular soy/Chinese schezuan looked not so spicy- of course, I did not try them so I cannot vouch for it.  I will probably not return for the food but like I said, their drink specials I am sure are tempting for those who wish to drink a bit but not pay the big price tag.

The biggest disappointment of the night - I had a ton of left over curry but no rice to go with it so I asked for more rice.  At most other places, they provide this in your to-go bag without charging extra.  Thai Basil was ready to charge me $2.00 for it.  I was a little disappointed and surprised by this as I just wanted enough to eat the next day with my left over panang.  In any case, maybe if we had a different server... or maybe if I had just gone to Swing Thai next door.  In any case, after three could've, would've, should'ves,  GetCluedIn gives Thai Basil a BIG Question Mark.  Out of all the Thai places in the Denver metro area, I do not recommend Thai Basil.  If you want to go for drinks, then this may be the place for you but if you are looking spectacular Thai food and/or great service, then this is not the place for you.