FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Monday, June 23, 2008

What's your hobby?

Recently, my husband and I have had some disagreement regarding the term “hobby”. It has stemmed primarily from the fact that 'til recently, I figured people just did things for the sake of doing them - running a marathon, scrapbooking, skiing, collecting coins, etc. I was intrigued by the word "hobby", so I decided to do some research. Dictionary.com defines “hobby” as “an activity or interest pursue for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.” Some examples follow: stamp-collecting, woodcarving.

When you cross reference dictionary.com with other definitions, worldnet for example, defines it is an “auxiliary activity”, and Kernerman’s English Multilingual dictionary defines it as “something a person enjoys doing (usually frequently) in his/her spare time and not for pay.” Interesting, so now we have the added twist that is not for pay, not just a “main occupation” so if you work at Starbucks on the weekends because you enjoy making coffee and meeting new people, it is not a hobby because you get paid for it.

I really enjoyed my research project into the word, “hobby” and of course, wanted to look up origins and other things but this blog would then turn into something a bit tedious. Instead, I started to wonder what my hobbies really were. Granted, I do not like that term because it seems that I cannot count sleeping and eating as hobbies since they are necessities. I enjoy both activities immensely but do not seem to get enough sleep these days or good food often enough. I get pleasure from massages but do not seem to get them often enough. For now, the hobbies I think I can honestly say I get pleasure from but may not get to do it often enough – well, writing this blog of course, playing Sudoku, watching movies, and scrapbooking. Pre-baby, my list was a little more extensive – yoga, writing, reading, scrapbooking, watching movies, and my favorite shows and serials, but nowadays it seems like my hobbies are dwindling. I wonder if it is because I get more pleasure from spending time with my daughter than doing my hobbies or am I truly not getting the opportunity to relax. Balance is a fine art – balancing work, home, and hobbies which may truly help one relax. I have not found that balance since the birth of our daughter but I am hoping I can find that amidst the pangs of guilt I feel when I am away from her, possibly pursuing some of the hobbies listed above. In the meantime, until I can find that balance, I will just take a deep breath, hold my baby as she holds me back, and think about all the things I can pursue for pleasure and relaxation… soon!