FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Craigslist and Ebay? I just think it is better to buy new

Recently, my husband and I made the rounds at neighborhood garage sales. We were not looking for anything really. If anything, we need to have a garage sale of our own soon! But, it is always nice to find nice toys and things for the girls at garage sales since toys are expensive and best recirculated. I was disappointed in missing out on a few deals and realized garage sales are really the best way to buy things because on line websites that purport to sell things are just not reasonable. For example, I am in the market for a double stroller and we started to look on-line. I can get a new one with coupons at Babies R Us for $91- that same model on craiglist.com, people are asking anywhere from $60 to $90 - one lady even posted it for $100 - WHAT??? Are you kidding me? What is our wrong with these new generation of on-line sellers? Have you forgotten that when you buy something, it depreciates the minute you take it out of the box? Most ads say things like "only used twice" or "used only four times." So what?! Does that entitle you to recoup your entire cost? Nope...

When I asked for the SUPERGATE XT I remember overpaying only because I wanted it and the coupons for Babies R Us were no good. But I could have gotten it for Babies R Us (if I had waited) for $50, and I paid this lady $40 for it- overpriced in my opinion. If you used it three times like she did, nonetheless it is used and therefore should be 50% or LESS. She was excited and gloating that she gave me 30% to 40% off retail. WRONG AGAIN! On-line sellers are horrible to deal with too. Unlike a garage sale, they can sit in their homes and respond to an email or a phone call so they think this gives them some bargaining leverage. In the end, it is up to us (buyers) to hold our ground and while retail is pricey, realize that we are not getting a good deal and just say NO.

With the stroller world it is no different. On Ebay, people are bidding full price or higher for strollers that are going for the same price on reputable websites and stores. Why would I pay $35 for shipping on as stroller that I am about to bid for $180? That is ridiculous. I ended up getting the stroller we wanted for $200 - no tax and no shipping from a reputable webstore. So, why go through the hassel of dealing with a private seller, shipping, and the problem if something comes to me broken or wrong? Why would I deal with a private seller when I can deal with the comfort of returning something to a store I trust? I would only go through that for a TRUE bargain.

If you get a good deal on Ebay or Craigslist, by all means go forward but if you are not getting a good deal, don't do it! And you sellers out there in the on-line world, you need to start to get a grip and focus on reality - you used it, and it is not worth what you are asking for it. Please price reasonably and responsibly - you are giving the rest of us a bad name!