FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Dressing Room Drama - I feel so violated

I feel so violated - today, I went to a sporting goods store to find that perfect sports swim suit and instead I got violated in a big way. So, there I was in the dressing room and I locked the door - so I thought. It was a busy dressing room area at lunch time and people were coming and going- some would knock and others like the guy who barged in on me did not.... I was trying on swim suits so of course, you can imagine my surprise when I heard the door rattle. I said several times, "someone's in here. someone's in here." Before I could finish that sentence a third time, the guy had already pushed the door open and was staring at me. I was covering my naked, topless self but was completely shocked. I think he was too because it took what felt like several seconds for him to say sorry and run away. He was not laughing but I could tell he was shocked too. After all, there I was, completely naked. Holding a swim suit on a hanger in one hand and trying to cover myself up with the other. He probably heard me yell, "what the fuck and oh my god - didn't you hear me say someone was in here?" What a mess!

I decided not to purchase anything and left the store but before I did I talked with someone about their dressing rooms. I informed him that they needed separate dressing stalls or a better system like they do at dick's. For example, at some stores where they have co-ed dressing stalls, they have the sales associates come and let you in after verifying no one in there. Other stores have the stalls where you can at least see people's feet. I am not sure what happened to common courtesy like just knocking and verifying before entering. All I can say is I am humiliated and embarrassed and this was an accident - I cannot imagine how people feel who are sexually assaulted or worse, raped. Those are intentional acts against the person and this was an honest mistake. But the way I felt just made me realize how horrific those events must be for a person. I also heard recently about stores taping people in dressing rooms without their knowledge and consent and I realized also what a horrible invasion of privacy that is despite same-sex observers. In any case, it was a horrific day and I hope never to go back to this store. I am debating how to handle this incident - should I call the manager and talk with them, write a letter, or just end it with this blog. I really want to advocate for a better system for dressing rooms but am not sure how to handle it.

In any case, for now, I choose to put this drama behind me and hope that someday I can re-enter a co-ed dressing stall ... and come out without incident.