FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Friday, October 02, 2009

Facebook - the new recreational drug

These days, you do not have to look far to find someone on facebook. "Everyone is doing it." In fact, if you are not on facebook, you are already left behind. My husband mentioned how many moms are on facebook and are addicted - he's right. Moms spend their days at home with crazy, often disobedient, younger kids. Facebook ends up being a happy place- a sweet escape. Just when you thought it was alcohol, caffeine, or drugs- no! The new escape is safer and more fun - FACEBOOK. The Internet is a modern phenomenon - if our parents had it, we would have all turned out weird. Which of course, makes me wonder how our kids will turn out. We've all done it, parents... we need a quick escape, an adult to "chat" with, and we turn to... you guessed it - our computers! With a quick move of the mouse, we are on, wireless and able to move freely throughout the house. With my click of the mouse, I have eyes in the back of my head- That's right, folks, the webcam built-into my laptop can see behind me and I can watch the kids play while I stroke the keys to type a message and write on my friends' walls.

I can take pictures and upload them with ease and "publish" -- so many comments and writings on my wall follow- hours of entertainment and banter with friends without any interpersonal contact. It's nice. It is like I am spending time with them without actually dealing with annoyances like changing my clothes, showering or driving to meet them. Yes, Email is a good escape but Facebook is so much more fun. It is addictive and a stay at home parents' best friend - it is the new, modern, safer recreational drug.