FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

My "Alleged" Family Medical History

For the last few years, since I have had planned and had a family of my own, I have really been interested in my family medical history. I used to fill out those questionnaires and wonder to myself as I wrote down "N/A - no report" what my family history truly was. You see, I am a first generation American born to parents who immigrated to the U.S. in the 1960s, so I know very little about the medical history of my immediate family other than what I am told which has been up to this point- very little to nothing.

Moreover, each time I told something about how someone died or what happened to this uncle or grandma, I am told something different each time. Things that certainly make you go "hmmmm...." In any case, I try to remain vigilant and persistent. When I made a trip to the Motherland last year, I was asking all the questions I could. I also ask my in-laws so I can help figure out what we all up against. As you know, family medical history plays a significant role in genetic disorders, medical conditions and health in general. Sure, a large part of your health is your diet, exercise, and how you take care of yourself BUT, it would be nice to know what risk factors we are all up against.

As I try to trace what happened to my family in the Motherland, I discover lots of disturbing "allegations" - my grandmother died young (either pneumonia or brain disorder), my grandparents on my maternal side passed away (was it diabetes or natural causes), my uncle who died young (brain tumor or aneurysm), siblings of my mother and father who died before my mom and dad were even born (no idea what happened). I try to piece together a genetic medical history puzzle of sorts and it has a lot of holes in it! I continue to wonder why people do not know really know what happened to certain people or why they cannot explain anything- was medical care really that poor back in the day or could people not accurately diagnose so all of us left behind just have to live with the explanation of, "she just went nuts." What?

Anyway, as I continue to piece together the answers to that ever popular question, "Do you have a medical history of this in your family?" I hope I can at least provide some answers to my children so they, in turn, can fill out a proper family medical history instead of the perpetual "?? I have no earthly idea" as an answer.