FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Airline Baggage Fees are robbing the taxpayer & middle income famililes

So I started thinking about baggage fees on airlines the other night because I started thinking about who it really affected. Well, for one, it does not affect Corporate America because most Corporations pay a lot to have their employees fly business class or elite class and there are usually no fees for their bags. Government employees cannot upgrade or if they do, it would only be using their own miles so they have to pay for the baggage fees so who pays for the $60 round trip for the bags of government employees- you guessed it- TAX PAYERS- usual middle to upper income families in America who bear the brunt of the increased taxes.

Then, the biggest population who gets hit with the baggage fees and who actually suffer- you guessed it - the Average American traveller- the middle income family who is going to see grandma or grandpa or that Great American family who worked hard for 3 to 4 years, saving every penny to go to Disneyworld- a once in a lifetime trip. Added cost of bags: $120 Roundtrip for a family of 4, additional car seats: $100 roundtrip. Are you fucking kidding me, airlines (EXCEPT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES WHO ROCKS)? I think it is time Congress got involved in this highway robbery. The Government just told the Credit Card Companies what they cannot do regarding unfair billing and interest practices. I think it is time Congress step up and enact a law that no airline can charge more than $10 per bag (below weight limits of course) and of course, airlines are free to charge less than that but they cannot exceed it in violation of federal law. I mean, really- is this what was intended when the Government deregulated the airlines in the 1980s? No- I do not think they ever saw this coming or they never would have deregulated. Now, I agree in a free market society but I also agree the Government occassionally has to intervene when the free market has exceeded its authority and worse, ABUSED its power in this manner.

I fly Southwest Airlines because I think I have the freedom to choose and I choose not to fork over $120 roundtrip for bags but I think it is time for Congress to step in to protect the taxpayer and the average citizen who bears the brunt of this utter abuse by the Airlines.