FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

The longest Baby Shower ... EVER!

I do not get the opportunity to attend too many baby showers - mainly because most of my friends are single and not having children. If they do have children, they are most likely done. Last night, I had the opportunity to attend an Indian baby shower and they are certainly not the normal baby showers - they, like Indian weddings, are a family affair. All members of the family are invited and everyone gets to participate. And like most Indian events, there is tons of food- so much so that they have to roll you out.

In any case, this shower I thought was well organized but a little long for me. The start time was 6pm and we did not get home until 11pm so you can imagine how long it was. Like most Indian events, this one probably ran on Indian Standard Time (IST) and therefore, most likely started at 630pm or closer to 7pm. We had really bad weather last night so it took us almost an hour to get there and we did not arrive til close to 730pm which is probably good because they did not cut the cake until almost 845pm! Of course, that meant we ate good, spicy food after 9pm. For me, that is rather late. I usually eat dinner on weekdays and most days between 530 and 730 pm. Anything after 8pm, is late as far as I am concerned. The kids were getting restless too - you could tell as the volume went up and screaming slowly increased.

The shower was well done and the food and desserts were amazing. The only thing annoying was the games and the shower program. There were tons of games - too many almost. As my sister in law calls it, "death by baby shower". One particular game seemed like a family game where people guessed who did what as an infant/toddler or child. And, other than family, no one really knew or could even guess whether it was the mother-to-be or father-to-be that committed the misdeed as a child. That game did me in. But there were other games too and entertainment and songs too. We ended with the kids singing nursery rhymes to the parents to be and I have to say, that was the shortest part of the entire program and quite cute.

All in all, it was a good time but having had two baby showers myself, I realized how long and grueling these events really could be.