FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

To homeschool or not?

Ever since my toddler started daycare again and I realized how much I freak out at the thought of someone else caring for my child, giving her direction, and teaching her things I may not want her to learn, I have discovered that I am true control freak. For the control freak, I think it is a good idea to home school if the parent can do it. It is not like the child is isolated in home schooling but an entire network is at your disposal - a network of parents, a network of kids, and of course, a wealth of experience and knowledge.

Homeschooling is not what it used to be but rather, so much better as a result of the Internet and other technology. For example, you register that you are homeschooling and your child's age, and a sample curriculum is sent to you and you can connect with others who are doing the same in the same age group and then, the child is not isolated and can learn social skills too. Of course, it is my belief that no matter how the child learns or where, alot is up to the child too. A child who wants to excel will and a child who does not, will not - no matter what environment they are in.

In any case, I will not be homeschooling anytime soon -- it is not something I am good at and I am not sure I am ready to give up my professional job and income but I think it is a great idea and certainly a great way to control your child's educational future and ensure that you are not always at odds with the school's philosophy and principles. It is a great way to teach your child, spend time with him or her, and have control over the situation as well.