FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Review of Amber Restaurant- Downtown San Francisco, California

I met my cousins after a long, long time - almost 4.5 years and it was good to catch up but they took me to a place in downtown SF, on Market Street between 3rd and 4th. It was called AMBER. It is a chain apparently in that area and is known for unusual dishes, changing menus, and really good Indian fusion.

It was late so you can imagine how hungry everyone was. In any case, the appetizers were amazing- there was some palak chaat which was really straight forward but tasted fabulous. Fried spinach leaves (using Besan or Gram Flour), sprinkled with Pomegranate seeds and yogurt and chutney- AMAZING. Then, there was the idly chaat which had an Indian/Chinese flavor and was very good too. The dishes for entree were very flavorful and even asking for mild to medium, they were a bit spicy. The paneer dish was good as well and all in all, it was a neat experience. The restaurant is very sheik and retro and is huge- several stories with lighting and ambiance that can make it great for family, friends, and dates.

I was not expecting much more than regular Indian, but it was quite an interesting place and amazing food. My cousin told me they bring in chefs from hotels in India which serve amazing food- ie, the Taj, Oberoi, etc. And their menu always has something interesting and new on it so it is worth going back to see what is new. I wish I were hungrier but I was running on Mountain time!