FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?



Gone are the days of stopping and asking for directions. These days there is GPS. I remember when GPS was something only the military had a hold of. Now, because of satellites, every Tom, Dick and Harry can own a GPS and find their own way around. Gone are the days of stopping and asking some yahoo for directions. So simple to use, even a child can use it. For my birthday, I got a Garmin and while it is not the jazziest model, I really think it will be useful when we go to new cities and travel within the city of Denver itself. I have not occasion to try it yet as my commute is very familiar and local but soon, I will try it out.

It is amazing how much technology has evolved since we were children- I remember having to help my dad read a road map on our cross country travels. I could never quite fold it back right and this would be troubling to my father. Of course, I still can’t fold a map back right – that is why I get map books. No folding required. I am looking forward to trying out the Garmin on a road trip I am taking next week for work to Cheyenne, Wyoming. It outta be interesting to see how it operates as I cross state lines.

My feelings toward GPS directional systems are mixed- on the one hand, I do not want to be so dependent on these things that I do not teach my daughter how to open a map and learn how to read one. On the other hand, it is convenient especially when I am lost in Washington, D.C., driving around aimlessly hoping for the best. It is scary driving in big cities when your safety is at issue as well. With gas reaching $4.00 a gallon, it is better to have pinpoint directions and get to your destination with as little mileage expended as possible. For example, this morning, I took the recommended Garmin route to the office and the mileage was significantly less. Since it was Friday, the traffic was light too so I got there in the same amount of time it takes me to take the longer but “faster” highway route. All in all, I am excited about this purchase and will take it with me when I travel so the next time I feel the need to stop and ask for directions, I won’t need to do either. I can pull out the Garmin, plug it in, and just Go!