FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Sunday, September 07, 2008

History in the making



I am currently enthralled in the 2008 election and both candidates are interesting. I love Barack Obama- he is truly a great man and a great leader. I remember being baffled when John McCain was nominated as the Republican nominee because he waffles on issues so much and sometimes goes one way and another time, goes another way – so, it was quite confusing to me how a contrarian could get the party nomination. I really like Barack Obama, but there are times when I wonder whether he has run for this office too soon. Of course, as you heard, “Now is the time.” I am amazed how much this country is divided over racial, gender, reproductive, and science-type issues. The country is not divided over economics but seems divided by social issues and issues which are affected by religion such as abortion, stem-cell research, reproductive rights, censorship, gambling, and the like.

I was surprised by McCain’s choice for VP but apparently, he knew what he was doing- she is attracting a lot of attention and seems to be bringing McCain’s numbers up. Of course, people who are true intellectuals and not voting with their heart, realize that she has little to no experience and is a heartbeat away from the Presidency. It is one thing to be an inexperienced VP, but an inexperienced President who has a lot of distractions in her personal life seems like a bad choice. McCain, if elected, would be the oldest elected and oldest sitting President – granted, people live longer these days but who knows what tomorrow holds?

In the end, I am looking forward to the debates and seeing what happens but my choice will be made not by my heart but rather, the issues. As far as the candidates go, I am confident that the Presidential candidate (whichever one becomes President) has the courage to lead this country in the right direction and will do so, gracefully. I am impressed with both candidates, their ethics, and high ideals, but more importantly, I think they can both represent America positively in the global sphere. Only about 59 days away, I am really looking forward to this year’s election more than year’s past. There seem to be great candidates and some interesting issues. No matter who wins, the country and the world will go on. I have to say though, whoever wins, history will be made and I look forward to it.