FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Westminster Mall- why even bother?

Last night we decided to take our daughter to see Santa at the Westminster Mall since it is about 2 miles from our home. This mall, mind you, is a disgrace to malls everywhere but generally has good anchor stores like Macy’s, JCPenney’s and Sears. Aside from that, the mall is a complete waste of space and there is nothing to eat save for the Chick-Fil-A. Why a land developer or mall developer would not do more, I am not sure because it is prime real estate in a prime location, and while Flat Irons Crossing Mall is only about 5 miles down the road using Hwy 36 West, I still think it is a waste not do something to make this mall more attractive to all.

For example, inside the mall are countless jewelers, Victoria’s Secret, Children’s Place, and other good retailers. There are also not so pleasant places like the dress shop that appears to cater to people who want very gaudy weddings/receptions – dresses with sequins. ARGH! Then, there are the food places – there is a firehouse grill or something like that is boarded up; a place that looked like it was a Greek place, boarded up, a Chinese place, and of course, my favorite – the pizza place that seemingly went out of business the day after I bought a slice of the yummiest pizza I have ever had. Go figure! Then there is the food court area (I use this term loosely) which is out of sight and unfortunately, out of mind with a horribly Subway and a Chinese place which may actually make you ill. When we took our sister in law and her kids there to take pics at Sears, she had that look on her face of appall and disgust. I was embarrassed but we were just there to take pics not eat.

Nonetheless I am baffled that the developer would not take the time to attract merchants and food places alike. Sometimes I think, like the 28th Street Mall in Boulder, you have to just shut down and start over. Clean Slate! Westminster Mall is a great candidate for a complete make-over. The mall, in its current state, is an eye sore for those who enter, and those who pass by on the street too. While it has big name anchor stores, even the Macy’s at Westminster Mall does not carry Polo or all the name brands you would expect a normal Macy’s to carry. My husband was looking for a Polo shirt but this Macy’s did not carry it. A lady checking out at the register whispered to us, “you need to go to the Macy’s at Flat Irons Crossing for that brand”. I guess the Westminster Mall is in such a crappy location, they can’t even carry all the brands. Wow! Even Ralph Lauren wants nothing to do with this crap-hole. I was amazed.

My daughter did see a Santa who looked like a seemingly normal Santa but she was not impressed. I guess she is still too young. Then we stood in line at Chick-Fil-A for about 20 minutes to get some food- it was the only concessionaire after all so, what can you expect? Don’t get me wrong, I like the convenience of the Westminster Mall and like to get our pics done at Sears but I think there have to be better plans for this area and this location. Westminster is not a bad area to live in and neither is Broomfield or North Arvada so I am confused at how this mall can end up as such a dump. I guess I will need to drive the extra 5 miles and stop my complaining. If you are considering going to Westminster mall - I would just say- don't bother!