FOLLOW ME HERE

This blog has moved to:
http://getcluedincolorado.com

Same great information, same great blog--- fabulous new look! Check out http://getlcuedincolorado.com today!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Signs of the Times Part 2, Children's Cartoons

My original blog posting, or part one Signs of the Times, Children's Cartoons was about a few cartoons or shows I had seen when my older daughter was a bit younger.  Of course, now there are a plethora of shows out there, all very interesting in my opinion, and a good reason why kids should not watch too much TV. 

picture courtesy of google search
Anyway, in my original post, I talked about Sesame Street and how much it has changed, Dora the Explorer and Spongebob.  In this update, I want to talk about Max and Ruby.  Several of us have talked about how odd this show is from a parent's perspective.  Of course, all the cartoons are make belief and about imagination and that is how we end up with 5 and 6-year olds running through the woods with adventures but this one is about two bunnies- a brother and sister.  It's odd for the first few times I saw this show, I thought Ruby (the one with the yellow apron on) was the mommy and Max was the son. Presumably, I assumed Ruby was a single mom since a daddy never enters the picture.  That was not the case as I watched the intro credits one day.  Ruby is the big sister and Max is the naughty, little brother.  It was interesting to all of us that Max & Ruby live alone, and Ruby is the parental figure to this younger kid.  Rarely is an adult present and only the grandmother comes to visit sometimes.  When she comes, it seems like Ruby is running around trying to make the place look nice and cooking.  The entire show is odd but I guess is supposed to show the kinship of siblings and the love between them including what happens in our society often these days:  an older sibling guiding and taking care of a little one.  It's interesting to me because Ruby never attends school and neither does little brother Max.  I just hope Ruby is over 12 'cause they shouldn't be home alone!  :-) 

Stay tuned for future children's cartoon posts and if you have any thoughts please share them here... I always love to see what other parents think of the children's programming these days.  It sure has changed since when we were growing up.